The Narrow-Gauge Festival - ThomasNATION Fanstory (Part 2)

July 21, 2024

 

The Narrow Gauge Festival at Ulfstead Castle was in full swing. Guests were enjoying the games, the special events and even meeting the engines, particularly Duke who had just been restored and offered a position on the earl's estate. But one of the festival’s biggest attractions was about to be set into motion: an incredible stunt show by Luke, who was in the castle talking to Thomas and Duncan. 
“Remind me again what you’re trying to do here?” asked Thomas.
“I’m going to race up to the rolling bridge, jump over it and land safely on the other side.” explained Luke. “Simple, right?” 
“Oof, I do not envy you right now.” Duncan scoffed. 
“What do you mean?” asked Luke.
“I mean, what happens if you miss the other end of the track entirely?” Duncan questioned. “And what if you fall into the moat? Or what if the portcullis falls onto your boiler?”
“Whoa! Easy on the superstitions, Duncan!” Thomas gasped. “Luke’s gonna do fine. I’ve jumped a far bigger bridge than this and I’m still okay.”
"Right, of course." Luke said, before gulping.
"And now, performing one of the grandest stunts to grace the castle," Sir Robert announced, "Luke is about to jump over the drawbridge!"
The audience leaned in, eager to see if Luke will be doing such a big stunt for an engine of his stature. Luke got into position, his little engine heart pounding.
“You got this.” Thomas said.
Luke took a deep breath and started racing towards the bridge. He raced faster and faster, his heart beating harder and harder, getting closer and closer to the bridge, with the audience's anticipation getting higher as...
...nothing happened.
"Uh...Luke?" called Sir Robert. "Everything okay?"
Duncan puffed out from the other end of the castle. "He's gone."
"What?"
"I can't find him." As Duncan spoke, Duke headed off to the quarry. He had gotten to know Luke a bit during the restoration process, and if he remembered correctly, he knew exactly where Luke was.
"Luke?" Duke cried into an old tunnel. Luke slowly puffed out.
"Sorry, old habits die hard." Luke chuckled awkwardly.
"What happened?" asked Duke.
    "I don't know." Luke explained. "I was ready to jump, but all those superstitions Duncan warned me about really got to me and I got scared."
"Luke, I assure you, there's nothing to be worried about," Duke reassured his friend.
    "Okay." Luke sighed, reluctantly. "I'll ask the earl if I can try it again tomorrow."
"That's the ticket." Duke smiled. "Come along, the race is about to begin."
"Race? What race?"

The race ran a lap from the castle all the way to Lakeside Station between two racers: Rheneas and Peter Sam.
“Let the race begin!” cried Sir Robert, and the race was on.
Rheneas and Peter Sam raced through the landmarks of the Skarloey railway - from the Wharf to the stations to even through a quarry. The race was heated and highly unpredictable. Some times Peter Sam would pull ahead, other times Rheneas would pick up the pace. By the time they were reaching the finish line, they were neck and neck, nearly running out of coal.
"How does my dust taste, Peter Sam?" taunted Rheneas.
    "Not as good as-" Peter Sam was interrupted by his firebox pluttering. "Oh, come on!"
Peter Sam had run out of coal, giving Rheneas the advantage and winning him the race. "And the winner is...Rheneas!"
The crowd cheered and chanted Rheneas' name, who had gone back to fetch Peter Sam.
"Good game, Rheneas." smiled Peter Sam. 
    "Please, I got lucky!" chuckled Rheneas. "Honestly, if you hadn't run out of coal, I think you would've won it."
As Rheneas shunted Peter Sam to the nearest coal depot, Mr. Percival was approached by a tall businessman.
"Excuse me," the man said, "are you Peregrine Percival?"
"That's me." replied Mr. Percival. "And who might you be?"
"I'm the owner of one of the finest narrow gauge engines in all of Great Britain," the man explained. "and I must say, that, uh, Randall fellow has truly proven his worth."
"Who?" asked Mr. Percival before realizing what he was talking about. "You mean Rheneas?"
"Whatever you say." the businessman. "Let me get right to the point. I want to buy him and have him work on my railway."
    "Pardon?"
"Mr. Percival, I will offer you more money than any Sudrian could ever imagine. All you have to do is give me that engine."
    "I appreciate the offer," Mr. Percival said, "but Rheneas is not for sale. He's one of our hardest working engines."
The businessman inhaled sharply, clearly hiding his resentment and disappointment. "Well, it was pleasant doing business with you. Farewell."
The man walked away as Mr. Percival shook his head, sure that that would be the end of it.

That evening, after the day's events were over, Luke was practicing his big stunt as Duke helped. Luke raced up to the drawbridge and...successfully jumped over it!
"Woo!" Luke cheered. "I did it!"
    "Nicely done, Luke!" Duke smiled. "Now, shall we do it with the drawbridge higher?"
"No, I think this is high enough."
    "Are you sure?"
Luke looked back at the drawbridge. It was only raised by an inch. "Actually, it could be a little lower..."
"Honestly, Luke," Duke rolled his eyes, "you've got nothing to worry about! Even if it does go wrong, at most you'll probably just land a couple centimetres next to the rails."
"I know, but I don't know if I wanna take any chances." Luke sighed.
Their chat was then interrupted by a giddy Rheneas. “Guess who just won the race?”
“Wow! Congrats, Rheneas!” chuckled Luke.
“Thanks,” continued Rheneas, “I mean, Peter Sam did an amazing job, but ultimately, I came out on top.”
“Well, you did very well,” said Duke, headed back to the sheds. “Now, come on. We should get some rest.”

That night, Luke and Rheneas spent the night with Duke at the castle. Luke couldn’t sleep, as he was still worried about his big stunt. But then, he heard a loud smash from a nearby window.
“What was that?” asked Luke. “Duke, did you hear that?”
Duke was still dozing off soundly. Luke simply shrugged it off. Perhaps it was just the wind.
Then, Luke heard a little rattle. The castle portcullis had lifted. “Okay, now something’s up.” he thought.
He built up a little steam and had a look around. The crown seemed intact. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary…until…
“Uh, Luke?” asked Rheneas, as he started up. “What’s going on?”
“Rheneas, keep it down!” whispered Luke. “I think someone’s robbing the castle!”
“Yeah!” whimpered Rheneas. “I think I know what they’re stealing!”
Luke looked in Rheneas’ cab and…remember that businessman from earlier? Guess who was in Rheneas’ cab.
“Stop!” Luke cried. “THIEF!”
“Not happening, pipsqueak!” the businessman cried as he raced away with Rheneas. “I need this train on my railway!”
Luke quickly gave chase to Rheneas, chasing him all throughout the narrow gauge line. Luke chased Rheneas through a quarry, where he managed to get an idea.
“RHENEAS!” called out Luke from behind. “I have an idea! I’m going to try to derail you!”
“Are you mental?!” Rheneas screamed.
“I’m sorry, but it’s the only way!” cried Luke, who immediately started bumping Rheneas as hard as he could.
“Not on my watch!” the businessman yelled. “I’ve come this far to get this engine, and I’m not giving it back now!”
“I’m a he!” replied Rheneas, a little offended.
“Just keep puffing, you heap of rusty metal!”, the businessman barked, driving Rheneas a little faster.
But alas, Luke didn’t give up. Even as the sun rose, his determination was undeterred, until they reached Lakeside. The businessman hit the points, sending Luke down another line.
“NO!!” cried Luke.
     “Just like I drew it up!” cackled the businessman. “Come on, you! The wharf isn’t far away now!”
Luke’s mind raced, frantically trying to figure out how to get to Rheneas…until he saw the drawbridge. It was raised up, but it was the only way. He sped up as fast as he could, up the drawbridge, jumping over at top speed…
…and landing safely on the other side, finally catching up to Rheneas.
“WHAT?!” cried the businessman.
Luke kept chasing Rheneas all the way to the Wharf. The businessman’s ship was just coming in. “You’re too late, you little gremlin!”
Just then, Rheneas got diverted onto a siding, slightly tripping up the man. “Wait, what’s going on?” But before he could act…
CRASH! Rheneas crashed through the buffers, landing on a little barge.
“There!” panted Luke. “You’ve got nowhere to run!
“You little green parasite.” groaned the businessman. “You don’t know who you’re dealing with. I own one of the biggest narrow gauge railroads in the world. They’ll never believe you when you say I tried to nab an engine. It’s my word against yours, mate.”
“Actually, no.” came a voice from behind Luke. Just then, Duke puffed out from behind. “He has a witness.”
“Duke!” smiled Luke. “How did you know he was a bad guy?”
     “I was there in the castle,” explained Duke. “In fact, who do you think set these points? And…”
The Sodor constable climbed out of Duke’s cab, handcuffs in hand. “You’re under arrest, sir.”
“Honestly,” Duke scoffed, “this behavior will never suit his grace.”
“You said it.” Luke chuckled.

The next morning, word of Luke’s rescue spread all around Sodor.
“I heard he jumped over a damaged bridge to stop Rheneas!” said Donald.
“I heard he flipped off of a cliff to get in front of him!” continued Douglas.
“And now,” Sir Robert announced, “who’s ready to see Luke officially jump over the drawbridge?”
The crowd went wild. From behind the castle, Luke was ready to go as he raced towards the drawbridge. He raced faster and faster, his heart beating harder and harder, getting closer and closer to the bridge, with the audience's anticipation getting higher as...
...he jumped over the drawbridge and landed safely on the other side. The crowd went absolutely wild!
"Marvellous!" smiled Skarloey. 
    "That was great!" cried Rusty.
        "Wow!" gasped Percy.
Luke smiled warmly. "Heh. It wasn't that scary after all that business last night. Isn't that right, Duncan?"
Duncan rolled his eyes. "Come on, Luke, don't get a big head about this."
    "Okay, okay," chuckled Luke.
"Well, overall, I'd call this a splendid festival!" Skarloey said with a grin. 
    "Just imagine how many passengers we'll be getting after this!" chuckled Peter Sam.
       "Well, that I'm not looking forward to." groaned Duncan.
As the engines laughed, they looked on at, as Skarloey put it best, a truly splendid festival.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!