Exception to the Rule - ThomasNATION Fanstory
September 26, 2026The rules of the railway are simple. Don't walk on railway tracks, always obey the signals and engines always have the right-of-way. But those rules only apply to Sodor's human population. The engines have a much different set of rules and regulations, particularly the narrow gauge fleet. Down in the quarries, tracks down to certain mines are blocked off and only accessible to special crews. None of the engines know why, but they all assumed they were simply too dangerous. That's always been the way it was...until one day.
"Goin' down!" Owen called out as his platform dropped down to the lower terrace.
"Thanks, Owen!" called out Paxton as he disembarked. "Thanks, Duncan!"
"Sure." sighed Duncan. He was in one of his moods. Rheneas was supposed to do this job, but he couldn't find him anywhere.
"What's with you now?" asked Luke. "You're so grumpy today...and that's saying something."
"Rheneas is late! Again!" Duncan groaned. "It's been like this all week! I'm honestly wondering why Mr. Percival keeps him on if he keeps dodging his responsibilities."
"Maybe he's busy elsewhere." suggested Sir Handel.
"No. He would've said something if he were busy elsewhere." moaned Duncan.
As if like clockwork, Rheneas pulled into the quarry. "Sorry! I was busy elsewhere!"
"About time!" Duncan grumbled. "Where were you, ya bampot? I've been doing your jobs for two hours now!"
"I was in the mines."
"Nice try. Get back up there."
"No, I was. Mr. Percival asked me to."
"How much of a numpty do ya think I am?" Duncan rolled his eyes. "We aren't allowed down the mines! It's the rules!"
"But I was asked to go down there. I guess that makes me the exception!"
Duncan gasped. "You?! The exception?!"
"Yeah!"
"But...you're you!"
"I know. But Mr. Percival asked for me specifically!"
Duncan scowled at Rheneas. Something wasn't right.
After the day's work and when the narrow-gauge engines nestled into their sheds, Duncan was just as unreasonable. "But I don't get it. Why did he ask you?"
"Because I'm a reliable engine, Duncan." Rheneas laughed.
"But he constantly goes on and on about how dangerous those mines are."
"Then that makes me the e-"
"If you say "exception to the rule" one more time, I'm shunting you under a coal hopper."
"Behave, Duncan." warned Skarloey.
"What?!" Duncan gasped. "You're taking his side!?"
"I'm not the one who assigned him his jobs." Skarloey sighed. "If Mr. Percival asked Rheneas to work down those mines, he'll work down those mines."
"Oh, I know what this is about." Peter Sam smirked. "Duncan's jealous."
"What?!"
"Yeah, you're mad that Rheneas got a big, important job down the mines and not you!" chuckled Sir Handel.
"No. If Mr. Percival says that we're not allowed in those mines, why is Rheneas the exception? What makes him so special?"
"Just go to sleep, Duncan." Skarloey sighed, fed up with having to keep telling him. "Let Rheneas do his jobs, and you just keep doing yours."
The other engines went to sleep, but Duncan was still peeved. He had to do something...but what? He thought for hours, until an idea flew into his funnel.
Duncan was up bright and early the next morning. He had a score to settle, and he finally figured out what he wanted to do.
"Merrick!" called Duncan.
"Whuh?" Merrick woke up with a jolt. "Duncan? What's wrong?"
"Are the mines open?"
"Uh...yes, but-"
"Alright, thanks!"
"Wait, Duncan!" called out Merrick, but it was too late. Duncan was headed right for the mines. He stared at the entrance. It was dingy, musky, with the vague smell of rotten wood.
"If Rheneas can chuff through these mines," Duncan scoffed, "then so can I."
And so, slowly, he trundled into the mines. As he puffed through, he noticed something peculiar...the mines weren't too bad! It was a little worse for wear, but it looked no different than any other mine he had been in. And Duncan was elated.
"Ha! Those rules are silly! These mines aren't dangerous!" he chortled. "Exception, my bunker. I can't wait to see his face."
Duncan decided there that that was enough mine exploring for one day. He started backing up, but he accidentally bumped into an old support.
"Ow!" Duncan winced. "Silly bloomin' support!"
Then, there was trouble. The mines started rumbling and shaking, until the cavern collapsed right behind him!
"NO!" Duncan cried. "I'm trapped!"
As he sat there, waiting for his rescue, he began wondering about what Rheneas said. Maybe Rheneas was the exception to the rule. Maybe there was a good reason Mr. Percival chose him over Duncan. Maybe Duncan was wrong.
Work carried on above ground as usual, but Owen was still waiting on Duncan.
"Skarloey, where in the world is Duncan?" asked Owen. "He should've been here an hour ago."
"I've no idea, Owen." thought Skarloey. "Why don't I fill your platforms while we wait on him?"
"I suppose so." Owen frowned as Skarloey shunted trucks of slate for his loading platforms. As they lowered down so they could fill up Nia's train, an alarm suddenly blared through the quarry.
"What's happening?!" asked Rheneas.
"The mines have caved in!" cried Rusty. "They aren't safe!"
"They've what?!" gasped Merrick. "Duncan's in there!"
"He's what!?" cried Rheneas. "That means...I have to help him!"
Rheneas raced towards the west side of the quarry.
"Um...Rheneas?" called out Rusty. "The mine entrance is the other way."
"I know!" Rheneas called back, but not stopping.
Duncan sat in the mines on his own, pondering what to do next, until...
"Duncan!" shouted Rheneas as he came in the other way.
"Rheneas? How'd you get in here?"
"There's another entrance in the west of the quarry."
Duncan shut his eyes, shocked that he didn't even consider that. "Augh...I really am a numpty."
"No, you're not." Rheneas smiled as they chugged forward. "I shouldn't have boasted."
"And I shouldn't have gotten jealous. Truth is, you're a better engine than I am...er, regarding the mines, anyway."
"Thanks, Duncan. You're alright, too."
Duncan and Rheneas puffed out of the other side, where Mr. Percival was awaiting.
"Duncan, you have caused a considerable amount of delay and confusion." Mr. Percival frowned. "What were you thinking?"
"I'm sorry. I got jealous that Rheneas got such an important job. I didn't want to make the problem worse."
"Well, you did." Mr. Percival scowled. "I chose Rheneas because he's reliable and trustworthy. You need to learn that not everything is about you. You may be painted yellow, but green is not your color."
From then on, Duncan was never jealous of Rheneas again. It wasn't easy, but soon the two were able to put their petty squabbles behind them and work together like good friends should.

0 comments