ThomasNATION Classic Reviews - Double Trouble

September 12, 2026

So...does anyone remember Season 13?

With the atrocious Seasons 14 and 15 and the okay Season 16 taking up the zeitgeist whenever someone brings up the Nitrogen era, I've noticed that no one ever brings up Season 13. Sure, some of the really bad episodes like Splish Splash Splosh or Time for a Story are subject to some discussion, but other than that, Season 13 just gets lost in the shuffle. But I'm gonna ask the big question: should it be discussed? That's why we have this episode here - is there enough to get people talking? Let's begin.

It's Sir Topham Hatt's birthday, so Thomas has to collect him and take him to a party...what? It's a Sharon Miller episode, there's always a party. But there's just one issue: Sir Topham Hatt has a mustache now!

Now, upon reading that premise, you're probably asking yourself "that's it?". I said in my review of Philip's Number that a story's only as strong as its concept, and this is a plot that feels like someone doodled a mustache on Sir Topham Hatt and decided to write an episode around it. That, and the episode does fall victim to the standard Sharon Miller era formula, so it quickly becomes stale and repetitive. But the episode does come back around at the end with the twist: that it's Sir Topham Hatt's brother, Sir Lowham Hatt...I'll give credit, that's a really funny name. 

Plus, it helps that Sir Lowham is an interesting character. On paper, he does seem like just another Charlie, but he becomes a nice inverse of Topham as the episode goes on, and I like that they gave him his own personality instead of just having him be Sir Topham Hatt...with a mustache. I kinda wish the series did more with him. Like, imagine an episode where the two swap jobs, or one where Topham has to leave Lowham in charge. There's surprisingly a lot of untapped potential with Lowham.

Overall, Double Trouble was...okay. It's not great, or even good, but the fun twist with an entertaining new character elevates it towards being watchable...enough. I guess I recommend it if you're curious, but don't go in expecting anything mind boggling, which is why I'm gonna give this episode a 3/5. Expect to see Lowham in a future fanstory, however.

Final Rating: 3/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!