Sibling Rivalry: ThomasNATION Fanstory

February 20, 2021

 

It was a pretty stormy day on Sodor. The wind was blowing wildly and the rain was pouring down in a rapid fashion. As Thomas pulled into Vicarstown Station, he let out a sigh of relief.
“Phew!” Thomas sighed. “Am I glad to be out of that rain.”
“You’re telling me,” said Annie, grumpily. “My windows got all sticky, so my seats are sure to be soaked through.”
“And that’s not even mentioning the leaves stuck in my wheel…” moaned Clarabel.
“Well, at least we have a break coming up,” Thomas responded, “so we can have an hour all to ourselves, out of the cold.”
“Agreed.” Annie and Clarabel said simultaneously.
Then, Sir Topham Hatt approached Thomas, soaked down to his socks.
“Thomas,” he said. “don’t go just yet! I have another job for you.”
“What’s up, sir?”
“Donald and Douglas have a heavy load of steel pipes they need to take over to Tidmouth, and I need an extra engine to help them out.”
“But sir,” Thomas argued. “I have a break coming up.”
“I’m aware,” said Sir Topham Hatt, “so I’ll arrange for your break to be scheduled afterwards.”
“But, sir, please!” Thomas cried. “I don’t want to have to get involved in one of their arguments.”
“Hmm. Good point, Thomas,” Sir Topham Hatt thought to himself. “but I recommend that should they start fighting, you simply ignore it.”
“Yes, sir…” Thomas sighed.
“There’s a good chap!” Sir Topham Hatt chuckled.
As Sir Topham Hatt left, Thomas was getting ready to head back to Knapford to drop off Annie and Clarabel.
“I feel ever so sorry, Thomas.” said Annie. “Those two can be so bothersome sometimes.”
“I know, Annie,” sighed Thomas as he left, “but maybe I can find a way to stop all the bickering.”
 
Oh, how Thomas was wrong. All throughout the trip from Vicarstown to Tidmouth, all Donald and Douglas did was bicker, bicker, bicker. It wasn’t long before Thomas was at the end of his wits.
“Oh, and don’t even get me started on how conceited you can be!” Donald yelled at Douglas.
I’M conceited?!” Douglas argued back. “How am I the conceited one?!”
“Don’t act so ridiculous,” Donald argued. “All you ever think about is yourself. It’s always ‘me, me, me’.”
“Why did I agree to this?” Thomas grumbled under his breath.
“Oh, please!” Douglas argued. “You’re the one blaming me for everything, as if you’re Mr. Perfect.”
The two continued bickering throughout the trip. Thomas tried and tried to bear it, but soon, he could bear it no more.
“Could you both please BE QUIET?!” Thomas suddenly snapped.
Shocked at Thomas’ sudden outburst, Donald and Douglas stopped arguing and just stayed quiet. For once, Thomas could just enjoy the journey…until Donald lightly coughed.
“Donnie!” Douglas groaned. “Why did you have to ruin the peace and quiet?!”
“Wha…I coughed!” Donald argued. “Meanwhile, you just had to overreact, just like ye always do!”
“Oh, sure.” Douglas grumbled. “Blame it on me, like ya always do!”
“Here we go again…” Thomas groaned.
 
That night, Thomas was venting his frustrations out to his friends at Tidmouth Sheds about Donald and Douglas’ constant bickering.
“I’m sorry that you had to go through all that, Thomas.” Rebecca said.
“Yeah, I should know,” Emily responded. “it’s not pretty having to get in the middle of Donald and Douglas’ arguments.”
“I never thought they could be the type to argue,” Nia pondered. “they always seemed so practical, and peppery, and proud!”
“I don’t understand it either, Nia,” said Percy, “but their bickering’s been getting really bad lately.”
“Agreed.” James responded. “If only there was a way to cut their bickering short and have them see eye to eye again.”
“Well, what ideas do you have?” Thomas asked.
“Why don’t we stage an intervention for the two,” Nia suggested, “and convince them face to face to get along!”
“Or we could just…tell Sir Topham Hatt.” said James.
Nia thought on that for a while. “Let’s call that Plan B.”
 
The next day, Donald and Douglas had been called to Knapford Station. The sudden invitation had puzzled the two.
“I don’t understand why we had to get called to Knapford,” Donald pondered.
“Aye,” Douglas responded. “and by Nia, no less.”
Then, once the two pulled into the station, they noticed that the entire Steam Team was there. They looked concerned for the twins.
“Wha…” Donald gasped. “…what’s all this?”
“It’s an intervention,” Gordon started. “for you two. I’m going to start off: we don’t like how you two are treating each other.”
“Exactly, Gordon,” Nia continued. “I’ll be honest, I haven’t been on this island long, but every time I see you two argue, I’m just baffled.”
“Nia’s right.” Percy added on. “I mean, you two are supposed to be brothers. Always by each other’s sides.”
“I know,” Donald responded. “and I promise, I don’t want to get mad at Douggie, but sometimes, he just rubs me the wrong way!”
“What?” Douglas scowled. “Augh, how am I the one that keeps starting it?!”
“Because, Douggie,” Donald groaned. “you keep making a fuss out of the littlest things!”
Thomas tried desperately to stop the argument. “Guys! You aren’t listening to us! This is what we’re talking about!”
“Oh, aye?” Douglas grumbled. “Tell Donald, he’s the one that started it!”
“I started it?!” Donald yelled. And the two left the station, bickering away.
“I can’t believe that didn’t work…” Rebecca sighed. “Now what do we do?”
“Well, we could try Plan B…” Thomas pondered.
 
Soon, Donald and Douglas were pulling into Wellsworth, where they were greeted by a rather concerned-looking Sir Topham Hatt.
“Donald and Douglas,” Sir Topham Hatt said. “what’s this about you two putting everyone off with your bickering?”
“Why is everyone so concerned about us arguing?” Donald asked.
“Sir, believe me,” Douglas protested. “it was all on accident. We didn’t mean for this!”
“I understand that, Douglas.” Sir Topham Hatt responded. “but you two have to learn to appreciate one another. And until you do, I’m having you work separately.”
“What?!” Donald and Douglas cried.
“Douglas, I’ll need you to work with Paxton at the quarry,” Sir Topham Hatt started, “while you, Donald, will be working with Whiff at the waste dump.”
“But what about Scruff?” Donald asked, desperately.
“He’s at the Steamworks.” Sir Topham Hatt explained. “Now, off you go, you two. You can work together again once you learn to behave.”
As Sir Topham Hatt left, Donald and Douglas sighed.
“I guess our disagreements have been getting out of hand…” Donald sighed.
“Aye…” Douglas agreed as he left.
 
The next morning, Donald arrived at the waste dump, where he was greeted by Whiff.
“Oh, hi, Donald!” Whiff chirped.
“Hey, Whiff.” said Donald. “If Sir Topham Hatt hasn’t told you, I have to work separately from Douglas for a while.”
“How come?”
“Me and him have been fighting a bit too much, so we had to be split up.”
“Oh. Well, I suppose that you two could use the time apart.” Whiff soon led Donald to a train of empty trucks on a siding. “To begin, I need you to fill these trucks up with garbage.”
“Right,” Donald muttered. “I can certainly do that…”
As Donald shunted the trucks under the hopper, he couldn’t stop feeling sorry about Douglas. He was so distracted that he wasn’t paying attention to loading the cargo, resulting in the garbage spilling onto him.
“Aw! Augh, yuck!” Donald cried.
“Donald! Are you okay?” Whiff asked as he rushed over.
“Aye,” Donald chuckled. “just a little rubbish. I’m fine.”
 
Meanwhile, at the Blue Mountain Quarry, Douglas pulled in where he was greeted by both Paxton and Owen.
“Morning, there, Douglas!” Owen called out. “I’m glad you came in on such short notice. We’ve been needing some help here at the quarry.”
“I figured,” Douglas chuckled. “So, where do I begin?”
“Just over there,” Paxton said, gesturing to a line of trucks. But then he stopped and pondered. “Um, Douglas, what happened to Donald?”
“Sir Topham Hatt separated us,” Douglas explained. “it’s some therapy thing since me and him have been arguing a lot.”
“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Paxton responded. “I mean, usually, you two bicker and make up seven minutes later. What’s so different about this time?”
“Sir Topham Hatt’s saying that it’s putting other engines off,” Douglas responded as he went over to get his train. “but I mean, all brothers fight. It’s just natural.”
“Well, I don’t understand…” Paxton muttered. “I get that he can get on your nerves a little bit, but at the end of the day, you do love him…don’t you?”
Douglas stopped and thought for a bit. Paxton was right. Soon, he started rolling away, without his train.
“Douglas!” Paxton called out. “You forgot your trucks! Where are you going?!”
“I just need to do something real quick!” Douglas cried.
 
Douglas quickly raced into the waste dump to find Donald.
“Hey, Whiff,” Douglas asked, desperately, “have you seen Donald?”
“He should be over by Siding 3,” Whiff explained, “but…why do you want to see him?”
But Douglas raced over to the siding before he could answer. He soon saw Donald, still covered in garbage.
“Eugh!” Douglas groaned as he approached Donald. “What’s that horrible smell?”
“We’re at a waste dump, Douggie,” Donald scoffed. “what do you think it is? Anyway, what are you doing? I thought you were at the quarry.”
“I know,” Douglas started. “but I just came here to say I’m sorry.”
“What do you mean?”
“I had a talk with Paxton and he told me that even though sometimes you can really get on my nerves, and believe me, you can, you’re still my brother nonetheless, and these arguments don’t mean we don’t love each other.”
“Really?” Donald wondered. “Paxton said that?”
“Yeah.”
“Huh,” Donald thought to himself. “I guess that engine’s smarter than I realised.”
“So, what do you say?” Douglas asked. “Are we cool?”
“Yeah, we’re good.” Donald responded.
Douglas smiled. He was glad that he and Douglas were friends again.
 
Soon, Donald and Douglas had to take another heavy goods train together. Thomas looked over to see them, acting surprisingly peaceful.
“So, I take it you two made up?” Thomas asked.
“Aye,” Donald responded. “in fact, we made a compromise to never argue again!”
“Wait, no we didn’t.” Douglas called out from behind.
“Okay, I made that bit up.” Donald chuckled. “But the two of us still love each other all the same…even if we can get into silly arguments now and again.”
And the two set off for their destination, calmly and happily…until another argument erupted between the two. Yep. Just like old times.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!