ThomasNATION Classic Reviews - The Other Side of the Mountain

May 01, 2021

 

I’m sure a lot of us remember when Season 19 took the fandom by absolute storm. It was a bit of a change in tone, having more comedy than the prior episodes and boosting the animation quality. But was it good? Yeah…kinda? It had some solid episodes here and there, but it had a few duds here and there. One of the episodes commonly brought up as a dud is The Other Side of the Mountain, but what will I think of it? Will the grass really be greener on the other side, or is it nothing important to brag over? Let’s begin.
When Bertie gets rerouted to a beautiful road on the other side of a large mountain, Thomas starts wondering what really is on the other side, which is only fueled by the bus teasing him. Will Thomas find his way to the other side and see if what Bertie’s saying about it is true?
 
I’ll be quick to the point, I wasn’t a huge fan of this one. One of the big issues with the episodes is that the storyline isn’t all that well told. Once the conflict arises, you can pretty much guess point-for-point where the story’s gonna go and how it’s gonna end, even down to the twist. Sure, the twist is a little clever, but it’s still just a little too obvious. The way it’s executed isn’t a whole lot better, since the characters are portrayed as a little hard to like (or in Annie and Clarabel’s cases, drugged out) and the crash Thomas gets into is pretty ridiculous.

However, the episode is still not without its positives. There are a few funny moments, the idea of Thomas wanting to go on the roads is a little creative, the crash (as silly as it is) is pretty well-animated, and as obvious as the twist is, it is a little funny and clever. In fact, I’d say the most entertaining moment in the episode is at the end when we get a little fantasy of Thomas flying. It’s a hilarious moment, but is it me or did it unintentionally inspire the BWBA fantasies? Maybe I’m just looking too deep into it.
 
Overall, The Other Side of the Mountain is a bit of a mixed bag. Sure, it can be pretty funny at times and it’s an interesting premise, but the lame storytelling and weak characters really hold this one back. If you’re curious, I recommend giving it a watch, but it’s not really my cup of tea. Sorry if this is one of my shorter reviews, but I have very little to say about it, and as such, it gets a 2/5 from me. Not Season 19’s worst, but not one I’ll be revisiting any time soon.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!