ThomasNATION Classic Reviews - Splish, Splash, Splosh!

May 29, 2021

 

Hey all, JF here, and this is a really interesting case here.
 
Ya see, I distinctly remember this being part of the first CG Thomas DVDs I ever purchased way back in 2010 (for some reason I remember that day perfectly) and it was a blast. However, I’m not here to reminisce on the olden days. I’m here to see how this episode holds up. So now that we’re in for a wild, wet time, will the episode be as excellent as it was back when I was 8, or will it be as fun as getting your foot soaked in mud? Let’s begin.
While preparing for an Alicia Botti concert in Tidmouth, Thomas and Rosie get sidetracked and start mucking around in the puddles on the tracks, even making it a little game entitled “Splish Splash Splosh”. Soon enough, however, Thomas gets carried away and…yeah, you can pretty much guess the story beats from here.
The biggest problem with the episode is that it falls victim to the classic “three strikes” formula, where Thomas discovers something fun, focuses more on that than his work, screws up, and gets back on focus. It uses the same tired old structure as many other episodes of the era that it becomes bland and predictable. Of course, I know the execution is meant to make things better in terms of weak stories, but with this episode, not so much. While it isn’t the worst executed episode of the era, not only does it have the typical Miller-era terrible dialogue, but the story beats quickly become repetitive and boring.
I know this was one of my shorter reviews, but that’s mostly because there’s not enough substance to really talk about. It’s just your typical ‘three strikes’ episode with the same boring story beats with nothing much about it to stand out. If you’re a little curious, give it a watch, but I wouldn’t recommend it over the better episodes of the era, which is why it earns itself a 1.5/5.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!