ThomasNATION Reviews - A Wide Delivery

August 06, 2022

I recently made a list of things All Engines Go! got right, but one thing I think the reboot got completely wrong, it's how they did Diesel. I never understood why they decided to make the bona fide villain of the series one of Thomas' best friends. Granted, he's presented as a comic foil to the main characters at times, but that doesn't happen as often as I hoped, half the time he's just one of the bros. But then you have those little moments where he is a rival to Thomas and the gang, case in point: A Wide Delivery. Will this prove my inhibitions about Diesel be proven wrong or are the problems with this episode as wide as the delivery (and Diesel's forehead)? Let's begin.
Thomas and the gang are tasked with delivering cottages to the beach, but due to them being so heavy and wide, they require two engines to pull. Only problem is, Percy teams up with Nia for their delivery, meaning Thomas has to team up with Diesel.

First off, I think the moral of this episode is great. This episode teaches the viewer about communicating and finding common ground with an adversary, which is a pretty unique and interesting lesson. This is also present in its song, even if it isn't that a great song itself, since the lyrics and composition aren't that memorable or catchy. But still, it's a pretty solid moral in its own right...too bad the rest of the episode couldn't match that quality.
The main problem here is that Thomas is a little hard to like, since he continually ignores Diesel's help to catch up with Percy. Granted, it does tie into its moral and how he has to learn to work together with Diesel, but the majority of the episode is spent with him brushing him aside because he misses his best friend. I will admit, however, that I love the line "chugga whaaa?" I don't know why, but I bust a gut every time I hear it. Another problem is that it's highly predictable from beginning to end, since when the problem arises, you know exactly how it's gonna play out, making it less engaging.
Other than that, there's not much to talk about. In spite of a brilliant moral, it suffers from an unlikable lead, a mediocre musical number and a predictable storyline. I wouldn't call this a bad episode, since the moral elevates it a little, but I wouldn't call this Thomas and Diesel's finest moment, which is why I'd give it a 2.5/5.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!