A Miniature Railway Family Christmas! - ThomasNATION Fanstory

December 25, 2022


The day before Christmas Eve dawned over Sodor. All the stations on the island were decorated in the fanciest lights and decorations, particularly Arlesburgh West. The platforms, the sheds, even the engines were lit up and garnished in the finest decor. As the miniature engines watched the sun set over the snowy island, they were absolutely in awe.
“Can you believe it, guys?” asked Rex. “I can’t believe Christmas is just two days away.”
“It’s astonishing, isn’t it?” smiled Bert. “The island always looks so beautiful at this time of year.”
Even that old curmudgeon Mike loved the holiday season. “Yes, isn’t it something? And look at the station!”
“Oh yeah, that’s amazing.” chuckled Rex. “But…is there something missing?” 
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, look at the station. Isn’t there something off?”
Mike and Bert looked at the station, and it wasn’t hard to see what the problem was. “There’s no tree!”
“That’s right! Why don’t we have a tree?”
“No idea,” replied Bert. “Let me ask Mr. Fergus Duncan. He might have an idea.”
Just his luck, Mr. Fergus Duncan pulled up alongside the engines aboard Gordon. “Did someone say my name?”
“Oh, yes, sir,” replied Bert. “I was just wondering - why don’t we have a Christmas tree?”
“Oh! I knew I forgot something.” Mr. Fergus Duncan chuckled. “My workload’s been piling up with all the extra passengers getting home for the holidays, and all the additional loads of presents, I haven’t had time to put up a tree.”
“But tomorrow’s Christmas Eve, sir,” Mike protested, “we can’t not have a tree!”
“Well, how about this,” Mr. Fergus Duncan thought. “why don’t you guys go out and find a tree?”
“Really? You’re leaving it to us?” asked Rex.
“All of us?” asked Mike.
“Good point, lads.” Mr. Fergus Duncan thought. “Hmm…Rex! Why don’t you find us the perfect Christmas tree?”
Rex was gobsmacked. “Me, sir?”
“Yes! You haven’t steered me wrong before.” said Mr. Fergus Duncan. “I’m trusting you to find us that tree.”
“But why him?” protested Mike. “He couldn’t even deliver bales of wool without derailing.”
“Because, Mike,” replied Mr. Fergus Duncan as he went into his office, “he’s a reliable engine. I know I can trust him to do the right thing.”

That night, it started snowing heavily, but Rex was too busy boasting to his friends. “Haha! Look at me! Rex the Reliable, saving Christmas yet again!”
“Yet again?” Bert pondered. “When was the last time you saved Christmas?”
“Remember that year when Thomas broke down and I had to give him some of my coal?”
“That wasn’t saving Christmas, that was barely even saving Thomas.” Mike grumbled. 
“The point is, guys,” added Rex, “Mr. Fergus Duncan trusted me to find that tree. And I’m gonna find it if it takes me all of Christmas Eve!”
“Okay, but don’t be too late, alright?” asked Bert. “We need you for the Arlesburgh Harbor Christmas Party.”
“Oh, I’ll be back in time for that, Bert.” Rex chuckled. “But I assure you, by the time you wake up, there’ll be a beautiful Christmas tree lighting up the station.”
“Alright, if you say so.” sighed Mike as he drifted off to sleep.
Bert was still skeptical about this. "Are you sure you know where to look?"
"Of course." Rex said, comforting his friend. "I know this line back to front."

The next morning was Christmas Eve, and Rex was up bright and early to find that tree. But first, he had to fill up at Arlesburgh Harbor, where Ryan and Daisy were already beginning their runs.
“Merry Christmas, Rex!” cried Ryan. “What are you doing awake so early?”
“I told the others I’d bring them back a great Christmas tree as soon as they woke up.” Rex explained.
“How thoughtful!” Ryan chuckled. Where are you gonna find a tree?”
“There’s a magnificent tree farm up at Harwick,” Daisy suggested. “it’s where they got the tree for Vicarstown.”
“Or what about the Arlesdale mountainside?” thought Ryan. “I hear the trees there are tremendous.”
“Thanks, guys,” chuckled Rex, “I’ll check those places out as soon as I leave.”
"I can't imagine you'll have much luck, though," warned Daisy, "it's Christmas Eve. I don't think there'll be as many trees."
"Nonsense, Daisy!" Rex chuckled. "I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of trees!"

Daisy was right. Rex looked everywhere for the perfect tree. He searched high and low, through every nook and cranny, but to no avail. At this rate, he was just considering getting on a flatbed, heading to Tidmouth and just getting a tree there. But first, he had to stop for coal at a logging mill outside Arlesdale Green.
"Hey there, Rex," said a nearby woodsman, "you look awful tired. What's the matter?"
"I've been looking all over the railway for the right Christmas tree." Rex explained. "But I can't find a single one! They're either too thin or too short or..."
Rex stopped. He noticed an old, abandoned line in front of him surrounded by trees.
"What's in there?" he asked.
"Oh, that's just an abandoned line, you don't wanna look in there." said the woodsman. "The tracks are all bumpy and broken and covered with twigs."
"Then I'll just move slowly." said Rex. "Trust me, whatever tree is in there will be what saves Christmas!"
Rex slowly trundled in despite the loggers' warnings, and when he got in he saw the most magnificent trees. They were the right size, the right width, the right...everything! Now the only issue was finding just one to bring back to Arlesburgh West.
"This is incredible!" Rex said as he wobbled on the bumpy track. "We could have a hundred trees at the depot! I've really saved Chr-"
Just then, Rex hit an old branch and swiftly fell off the rails. He tried backing up to get back on the rails, but to no avail. The biggest problem? He was too far into the forest, so no one could hear his whistles. He was well and truly trapped. "Oh..."

It was Christmas Eve for certain, and while the other residents of Sodor were settling into their homes or sheds for a good night's sleep, Mike and Bert were starting to get worried.
"Where's Rex?" Mike pondered. "I haven't seen him all day."
"You don't suppose he got lost, do you?" asked Bert.
"Don't be ridiculous, Bert. This is a small railway; he can't have gotten lost in 13 hours."
Just then, Bert overheard Mr. Fergus Duncan talking to the woodsman. "What do you mean?"
"I'm telling you, Rex rolled into that abandoned line two hours ago and hasn't returned!"
"You don't suppose something happened to him, do you?"
"I'm not sure. He's too far in to find."
Bert gasped. "Rex is lost?! He can't miss Christmas!"
"One of us needs to find him!" suggested Mike.
"I can't find him, I'm terrible with navigation!"
"You want me to find him? I can't. What if I get derailed?"
Bert thought for a second. "Good point...what if we both go in?"
"Really?"
    "Yeah. Think about it. You keep an eye out for me in case we get lost, I'll keep an eye out for you in case we bump into something."
"Well, alright," said Mike. "Besides, we didn't have Rex's back on this, we may as well have each other's."

Mike and Bert ventured into the abandoned line, looking desperately for Rex. It was dark and hard to see through the falling snow, but they had to keep looking.
"Let's face it!" Bert cried. "We can't find Rex in this weather!"
"No use giving up!" Mike shouted. "We need to keep...wait!"
Mike braked hard upon seeing Rex, slightly bumping into Rex.
"Hey! Who was that?" Rex yelped, unable to see through the weather.
"It's us, Rex!" cried Bert. "We're here to save you!"
"Mike! Bert! Thank you!" Rex cried in joy. "For a second there, I was worried I was gonna spend Christmas in here!"
Mike and Bert coupled up to Rex and pulled with all their might. It was tricky with the icy rails, but they finally managed to get Rex back on the rails.
"Heh, thanks, lads," Rex chuckled. "I'm sorry I didn't ask for your help. I was so confident I would find a tree on the loop, but I didn't think it was gonna be this hard."
"Hey, no harm done," Mike smiled. "it's good. Besides, it's not like you didn't find a good tree."
Rex looked at one of the trees. He studied it carefully. "Well, what do you think? Is this a good tree for the depot?"
"Yep." Mike and Bert agreed. "That's the one."

The sun rose on Christmas Day. Mr. Fergus Duncan and his family woke up to the beautiful day. But as he looked out the window, he saw a tremendous Christmas tree lit up in dazzling lights and shining decorations. He stepped outside and was greeted by the engines. “Merry Christmas, sir!”
“Wow!” said Mr. Fergus Duncan. “The tree looks absolutely amazing! Where did you find this tree?”
“It wasn’t easy,” said Rex, “but we really had to work together to bring it home.”
“I think it really suits the place,” chuckled Mike, “what about you, sir?”
“I absolutely love it.” smiled Mr. Fergus Duncan. “Thank you, everyone. You’ve truly saved Christmas.”
As Mr. Fergus Duncan went back into his house, Rex went over to Mike and Bert. “Again, I’m sorry I didn’t ask for help.”
“No harm done, Rex,” smiled Mike.
“Besides, what matters is everyone’s happy.” Bert chuckled. “We’re with each other, Mr. Fergus Duncan is with his family, and our drivers with theirs. Isn’t that what Christmas is about?”
Rex smiled warmly, looking at his best friends and the tree. “Yes. It is. Merry Christmas, lads.”
And that was it. The three of them just spent the day talking, admiring the tree and laughing. And doing so, they had a wonderful Christmas.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!