Rosie Takes the Stage - ThomasNATION Fanstory

November 26, 2022

 

It was an average fall day on Sodor as Rosie was working in the shunting yard at Vicarstown. She was hard at work arranging all the trucks in line for other engines to take across the island - until she noticed an unusual queue of engines.
"That's odd." she thought. "Why are all those engines just sitting about?"
She went over to inspect the line. "Excuse me? Anybody know why everyone's lining up?"
"Ooh! I know why!" called Marion.
"Why?"
"They're putting on a play right here at Vicarstown! And it's all about the railway!"
Rosie gasped. "Really? A play?"
"Yes, ma'am! All the way from the West End on the Mainland!"
"So what's with the queue?"
"They need an engine as the lead," called out Gordon. "so they're hosting auditions."
"You all may as well head back to your sheds," smirked Diesel. "they aren't going to want some dirty old steamie as their hero. They're gonna want a modern, new, revolutionary, state of the art diesel like me!"
"Modern? New?" asked Gordon. "You were the first diesel on this railway. You've been here longer than Emily!"
"Are you going to audition, Rosie?" asked Marion.
"Me? Oh, I couldn't possibly." Rosie chuckled.
One by one, the other engines in the queue started encouraging her. "Come on, Rosie! Give it a go! It'll be fun!"
"Oh, goodness, no!" Rosie laughed. "I'm no good on stage. I'm perfectly happy just watching the show and cheering on the lead."
As the engines talked, Sir Topham Hatt walked out with the casting director of the play.
"On behalf of the railway," said Sir Topham Hatt, "we really appreciate you taking the time to consider one of our engines for your show."
"Not a problem, Topham," said the director.
"Anyone in particular you're looking for?"
"See, our show's about an aspiring engineer and a mixed-traffic engine working together to overcome their worries to save the railroads." the director described as she looked at the script. "We've got the engineer, now all we need's the engine. We're looking for an engine that's energetic and quirky, yet also passionate."
"Well, there's no better place to find an engine than here." smiled Sir Topham Hatt as they approached the line of engines.
The director inspected the engines closely, before stopping at Diesel.
"Hi there, Miss. Casting Director!" chirped Diesel. "I think your show would be much more interesting if the engine was played by a modern diesel engine!"
"Again, not modern..." Gordon moaned.
"Hmm, sorry, you're not what we're looking for." said the director. She then examined Marion, who belted out a beautiful aria. The engines were all blown away!
"Wow!" said Percy. "Marion's an amazing singer!"
"She might actually get this role!" gasped Gordon.
As Marion finished, the director was stunned. "Wow! Marion, was it? You're incredible! Such passion! Such elegance! You're just what we're...wait!"
The director looked over at another engine, amazed. "Scratch that! You, my friend. You're the right proportions and scale for this role. I must know your name."
"...um...Rosie?"
"Well, Rosie. How'd you like a shot on stage?"
Rosie was surprised. "What? Me? Um...well, I'd love to, but-"
"Capital!" cried the director. "Rehearsals start here at 7am sharp tomorrow. We'll see you there!"

Rosie rolled into Knapford Station later that day, a bit worried.
"Rosie! I heard the news!" said Thomas on another platform. "Congratulations!"
"Thanks, Thomas, but...well..." thought Rosie.
"...well, what?"
"Thomas, I don't want to be in the play." whimpered Rosie. "I've...erm..."
"What?" What's wrong?"
"I've got...uh...buffer odor?"
Thomas rolled his eyes. "Rosie, your buffers smell fine...I can't believe I just said that. The point is, what's really the matter?"
"Well...I guess if you wanna know...I..." Rosie mumbled something under her breath that Thomas couldn't interpret.
"Come again?"
"I've got stage fright." Rosie admitted. "I'm always worried that I'll mess things up and embarrass myself."
“Oh.” Thomas sighed. “Well, there’s not much to be scared of.”
“But this show’s going to be in front of thousands of people!” Rosie panicked. “If I screw up once, I’ll make a fool out of myself, and the railway will be closed down…”
“Rosie, calm down!” said Thomas to the now hyperventilating Rosie. “I’ve had some experience with stage fright before.”
“You did?”
“Yep. Remember when I was in a Bollywood movie? They gave me and Noor Jehan a speaking role, but I was so nervous I kept messing up my lines. It took 62 takes!”
Rosie chuckled. “62 takes?”
“Yeah. I was a mess. But Rajiv told me that fear’s just a means to keep going…or…wait, was that Yong Bao?” Thomas was now rambling into something else, so Rosie decided that, sadly, Thomas would be of no help.
“Well, that was a waste of time.” she said as she rolled away.

That evening, Rosie had to take some empty trucks to the Clay Pits. Left and right, engines were congratulating her, even at the pits.
“Congrats on the role in the play!” said Timothy. “If they’re accommodating engines, I’ll need to check it out.”
“Thanks.” Rosie chuckled nervously. She then looked over to Marion, who was chatting to Bill and Ben.
“I must say, I’m only a little disappointed that I wasn’t the lead engine,” chuckled Marion, “but if that’s Lady Luck’s intent, then I concede.”
“Maybe there’s another part you could audition for?” suggested Ben.
“Oh, yes!” chirped Marion. “But in retrospect, I’m not too sure I’m ready. I’ve only just overcome my stage fright.”
Rosie gasped. “Marion had stage fright?” She raced over to Marion, taking the empty trucks with her.
“Uh, Rosie! Your trucks!” cried Timothy.
“Just a moment!” replied Rosie as she approached Marion. “Hey, did I hear you say you had stage fright?”
“Oh, you should’ve seen it, Rose, I was a right old mess!” laughed Marion. “I still remember what I had to do to overcome it.”
“Can you teach me?” asked Rosie.
“You? But you’re the star of the show!”
“Ha ha ha!” teased Bill and Ben. “Rosie’s got stage fright!”
“Knock it off!” scolded Marion. “Stage fright’s very normal for anyone. Now, Rosie, just follow my lead and you’ll be over your fears in no time at all!”

The next morning was the start of the rehearsals. As the actors, both human and engine, prepared for the show, Rosie and Marion were on the side trying to get Rosie ready.
“Okay, remember, Rosie,” said Marion. “your line is “it’s going to take the strength of a thousand engines to save the railway”. Ready? Go.”
Rosie breathed in and started speaking. “It’s going to take the strength of a thousand-I can’t do this.”
“What?” gasped Marion. “Come on, that was good!”
“I can’t help it, they’re all staring at me!” Rosie gestures towards a bunch of tankers with crudely drawn faces on them.
“They don’t even…never mind.” Marion sighed. “There’s gotta be something else.”
“Hmm…what else do you have in mind?”
“Not a clue.” Just then, Percy rolled up to the two, confused by the tankers. “Oh. Hi, Percy!”
“…wow.” Percy said to himself, stunned. “What’s all this?”
“I’ve got really bad stage fright,” said Rosie. “Marion’s been trying to help me overcome it. I know all my lines, but I can’t speak in front of that big a crowd.”
Percy thought for a second. “You want my advice?”
“Sure.”
“Whenever I’m scared of speaking in front of a crowd, I imagine everyone in the crowd’s some of my closest friends. You know, Thomas, James, Gator. Because I know that no matter what, they’re always going to support me, even if I mess up.”
“Huh. Is it really that easy?” Rosie thought.
“Yep. Now, let’s keep going.” Marion chuckled.

Two weeks of rehearsals passed fast, and soon it was time for the play. The seats were all filled with fans dying to see the show, and there was even some room for some engines, including Marion, Percy and Thomas, who was still trying to figure out who told him that proverb about fear.
“…augh, was it Gina? Or…or Shane?” Thomas mumbled to himself.
“Two weeks, and you’re still on that?” Percy chuckled.
“I do hope Rosie’s okay.” Marion whispered. “I saw her before the show, and she looked really nervous.”
“Nah. I know Rosie,” chuckled Stanley. “She’s as strong as it comes.”
“Shh!” hissed Gordon. “It’s starting!”
The play went on so far without a hitch. The actors were doing a bang-up job and the set design was incredible. But then it was time for Rosie’s introduction.
“…and now, I lift the curtain to reveal the engine! The engine that will help me save this dear, failing railway!” the actor for the engineer declared. The curtain rose and…there was Rosie. All alone in the spotlight. She completely froze up.
“How are you feeling about our mission, engine?” the actor said.
Nothing. Rosie had completely forgotten her line. Marion and Percy watched in shock.
“Come on, Rosie.” whispered Marion. “Remember what we practiced.”
Rosie looked around at everyone, on the brink of a panic attack. And then, she saw her friends. She suddenly remembered what Marion and Percy taught her. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them up, she could see every seat in the house filled with Percys and Marions cheering her on. She took a deep breath, ready to perform.
How are you feeling about our mission, engine?” the actor repeated, slightly louder.
“It’s going to take the strength of a thousand engines to save the railway!” Rosie performed.
“Quite right, but that never stopped me before!” the actor cheered. “Now, let’s get started!”
The curtain closed as the first act concluded, and Rosie could hear nothing but the deafening applause. She was taken aback by this, she had truly impressed everyone, including herself.
“Rosie!” the casting director laughed. “What a performance! I knew I made the right choice casting you!”
“Well, thanks, ma’am.” Rosie smiled.
As the audience kept applauding, Marion smiled warmly. “She really did it. And my, what a performance it-“
“Lorenzo! It was Lorenzo that told me!” Thomas shouted. He then noticed the engines all looking at him, confused. “What?”

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow us on Twitter!